Thursday 31 December 2020

Best Photograph 2020

Lumholtz's Tree Kangaroo Dendrolagus lumholtzi, Atherton Tableland.

We all know 2020 has been a terrible year and I have noticed that I have posted much fewer articles this year than most. This is a result of me not having traveled so much this year, none internationally. But in November the state borders opened in Australia and I was able to go on a field trip to Cape York, stopping for a few days on the Atherton Tableland in north Queensland. And that was where I spotted this lovely animal high up in the rainforest branches.

These are not the sharpest of shots, but not bad for a hand held long lens in dull light. It is the back-lighting on the fur and leaves that I like, and the pose. The kangaroo could not have held a better pose for me. And I like the detail of the mosses and ferns on the branches, a true wild shot of an animal in its natural habitat.

Although, as it sat there looking down at me, completely at ease in the branches, I was reminded of a similar scene from the movie Predator. I only saw this one kangaroo, I must have missed more. Real life is better than fiction.


2 comments:

  1. odd animals. I've seen several in last few years, the most recent being at the Nerada Tea plantation, where there's a family in the tiny patch of rainforest trees next to their visitor centre! Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  2. odd animals. I've seen several in last few years, the most recent being at the Nerada Tea plantation, where there's a family in the tiny patch of rainforest trees next to their visitor centre! Sandra H

    ReplyDelete